Are you unhappy with the way your smile looks after tooth loss? Dental implants, one of the treatments and services provided by your dentists in Madisonville, KY, Drs. Ben and Stuart Baldwin of Baldwin Dental Group, can make your smile whole again.
How dental implants replace lost teeth
Just like buildings need strong foundations, teeth require strong roots to function optimally. Roots give your teeth the strength they need to bite, tear, grind and chew a variety of foods. Unlike other tooth restoration options, dental implants not only restore the crowns (tops) of teeth but also replace the roots.
The dental implant process starts when small titanium posts called implants are placed in your jawbone during minor oral surgery. In just three to six months, the implants bond to your jawbone, becoming just as strong as your natural tooth roots.
Dental crowns are added to the tops of implants once they're securely attached to your jawbone to complete the restoration of your missing teeth. Crowns are created from an impression of your mouth made during a visit to the Madisonville dental office.
Dental implants are an excellent option for most people
Your dentist may recommend dental implants if:
- You don't like the way your smile looks: Dental implants fill the gaps in your smile, helping you feel more confident.
- You're having trouble chewing: Biting and chewing can become difficult after tooth loss. Dental implants improve your appearance but also give you the biting power you need to eat hard, tough and sticky foods.
- You're in good oral and general health: If you're healthy, you're probably a good candidate for dental implants. If you have an immune system condition or take medications that suppress your immune system, implants may not be a good idea. Immune conditions and immune-suppressing medications interfere with healing.
- You don't smoke: Smoking also affects healing and makes it difficult for dental implants to bond to your jawbone.
- You practice good oral hygiene: Daily brushing and flossing will keep your implants in good condition and help you avoid infections.
Restore your lost teeth with dental implants. Call your Madisonville, KY, dentists, Drs. Ben and Stuart Baldwin of Baldwin Dental Group, at (270) 245-1547 to schedule your appointment.